VEMU Establishes Literary Award in the Name of Arved Viirlaid
On the occasion of the 100th birthday of Arved Viirlaid, VEMU will be establishing a literary prize, which will be awarded every two years on April 11th, the birthday of A. Viirlaid. The prize will go to a meaningful and outstanding work of fiction about Estonia and what it is to be Estonian.
The first award will be announced in December, 2022 at the Kreutzwald Days conference at the Estonian Literary Museum. Qualifying works must have been published between January 2021 and August 2022. The deadline for applications is August 31st, 2022.
The following winner will be announced on A. Viirlaid's birthday, April 11th, 2024 for work that has been published within the previous two years. The deadline for applications is December 31st, 2023.
1. The Arved Viirlaid literary prize is established and awarded by VEMU Estonian Museum Canada in Toronto.
2. The award will go to an outstanding work of fiction that meaningfully highlights Estonia and Estonian identity.
3. The winner will be announced every two years on the writer's birthday on April 11th.
4. Fiction published in the previous two calendar years is eligible for the award. Candidates may be nominated by organizations and individuals, including members of the jury.
5. To apply for the award, the following must be submitted to VEMU by December 31st, at the latest:
- an open application letter with a explanation of submission;
- the work submitted for the prize or a copy thereof.
6. The winner will be selected by the jury: Tiina Kirss, Janika Kronberg, Sirje Olesk, Kaja Telmet, Jaan Undusk.
7. The prize of 1500 euros is funded by VEMU.